Report from Thailand
Thailand Amateur Radio Day 2019
The Office of the National Broadcast and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) is the regulator of Thailand. The NBTC has recognized importance of Amateur Radio and has supported an exhibition, called the Thailand Amateur Radio Day, for the last five years. Every year the NBTC has approved a special event callsign for the event. In 2019, the callsign HS19NBTC has been approved for all communication modes during the period of 12th to 18th of December 2019 including satellite communication and SSTV. The exhibition and open-air radio activities were on the 14th of December 2019 at the office of NBTC and were open for all amateur radio and public interests. The Radio Amateur Society of Thailand (RAST) under the Royal Patronage of His Majesty the King as well as other provincial radio amateur societies attended the event with several booths and exhibits. RAST operated on HF and VHF stations during the event with the HS19NBTC callsign.
RAST members set up antennas and prepared rigs for VHF/HF stations.
One issue that NBTC has paid attention and promoted is variation communication modes beyond phone. For this year, the theme of the event was on the Earth-Moon-Earth (EME) amateur radio communication. The NBTC was glad that Mr. Alex Artieda HS0ZOP (HB9DRI, ZS6EME) joined the event and delivered a statement of the EME communication. The historic and technology challenge captured interest of audients. The NBTC has invited Mr. Artieda to demonstrate the EME communication to the authorities and amateur radios in next few months.
Mr. Alex Artieda HS0ZOP (HB9DRI, ZS6EME) presented history and challenge of Earth-Moon-Earth communication
Receiving speedy CW contest was another highlight of the events. The CW receiving contest promoted new generation of Thai Ham to learn classic mode of communication and to be eager to work on HF bands. The contests were classified into three levels; 10, 20, and 30 WPM. Contesters are teenagers, youths, and seniors. Winners were awarded with a certificate and a high-end Bluetooth speaker.
CW receiving contest during the exhibition.
One thing that always present in a ham fair is exhibiting ham projects. Many QRP rigs were displayed at the event. One interesting project was 3.5 m emergency beacons developed by Nuk HS7BHK. The beacons were integrated with a GPS module and broadcasted “SOS” and GPS location with 8 WPM Morse code when activated. Nimit (HS1IFU, K6XOX) brought four of his projects including APRS weather stations, a mine-sweeper robot integrated with ARPS and video broadcasting, and a compact emergency APRS box. The awarded winner project went to Colt (E23NEZ) along with his colleague, Nikon (HS5NMF) and Dan (HS0KRM) for all band portable antenna set. The antenna set could be raised up to 16 m high and be ready within thirty minutes. The antenna set were for 40 m/20 m/15 m/10 m/2 m/70 cm/23 cm bands. Lighting, DC high capacity power, and AC power generators were included in the set. Others on display were an emergency radio backpack, a satellite antenna array, portable radio phone booth.
Individuals, regional societies, and club stations exhibited their rigs, ham projects, and their innovation during the event.
The event ended in the evening. A Deputy Secretary-General of Telecommunication of the Office of the NBTC, Mr.Korkit Danchaivichit, closed the event with an inspiring speech. “… We (NBTC) have duty to inspire and give hope to our new generations… One day, our youths will able to establish an Earth-Moon-Earth communication by their own …”
Mr. Korkit Danchaivichit, a Deputy Secretary-General of Telecommunication of the Office of the NBTC, delivered a closing speech of the event.
Report from Thailand backnumber
- JARL HAM FAIR 2023
- World Radiosport Team Championship WRTC 2022 (2023) Bologna, Italy, 4-11 July 2023
- Friedrichshafen Ham Radio Fair 2023
- Parks on the Air in Thailand
- RAST on The Beach 4
- Fred Laun K3ZO Silent Key (Part II) A great loss for amateur radio
- Fred Laun K3ZO Silent Key (Part I) A great loss for amateur radio
- HF Amateur Radio Seminars Hosted by RAST and NBTC BW/E25KAE, The First Thai HAM Operator in Taiwan
- CQ World-Wide DX Contest SSB & CW 2022 from Ban Ta Bong (The Center of the World)
- POTA Activations in Thailand by JJ1DQR,
Advanced Class Examination for Thai Amateur Radio Licenses
- HS3NBR/p Maeo Island IOTA AS-145,
16th – 19th September 2022
- JARL HAM FAIR 2022
- Inmemoriam to the former RAST President Mayuree Chotikul, HS1YL,
US FCC Amateur Radio License Examination in Thailand, etc.
- 45th International Amateur Radio Exhibition in Germany“HAM RADIO FRIEDRICHSHAFEN 2022”
- E20AX/P Mini-IOTA DXpedition to Samet Island (AS-107)
- Easing of Travel Restrictions for Visitors Entering Thailand,
Tribute to Franz Langner, DJ9ZB and Roger Western, G3SXW
- RAST held its General Annual Meeting, May you rest in peace JH1AJT and W7LR
- RAST Annual General Meeting, March 20, 2022
- The First Intermediate License Examination Since COVID-19 Outbreak
- E20AX/p IOTA DXpedition to Chang Island (AS-125)
- CQ World Wide DX Contest CW 2021 from Thailand
- CQ World Wide DX Contest SSB 2021 from Thailand
- The 18th IARU Region 3 Virtual Conference was a success
- Celebrating 400th anniversary of trade relationship between Denmark & Thailand, etc.
- E2HQ RAST Headquarter 2021, etc.
- RAST will host the IARU Region 3 Conference 2021 online in September, etc.
- RAST Talks, RAST CW Challenge Results
- RAST held AGM meeting and hosted New Year Party, NARIT Astro Fest 2021
- RAST CW Challenge
- KMUTNB and RAST welcome Minister of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation & other news.
- FCC Amateur Radio License Exam, RAST Donated a Tower to Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary,Installation of 2EL Quad at E24OYI
- RAST & G. SIMON BALLOON FESTIVAL 2020 "E2ICOM"
- RAST HF-101, November RAST meeting
- NBTC and RAST presented the callsign HS10A to His Majesty the King
- RAST hosts August meeting at an open-air restaurant
US FCC Amateur Radio License Examination at KMITL, Bangkok, Thailand
- E2HQ RAST-Headquarter, Spirit of the 2020 IARU HF World Championship
Installation of E24EZ, The first DMR Repeater in Thailand
- Global COVID-19 “STAYHOME” Radio Communication Event was a great success
- E2STAYHOME, RAST COVID-19 Special Event
E21EIC inducted into CQ Amateur Radio Hall of Fame
COVID-19 RADIO COMMUNICATION EVENT
- The E21EIC Station Antenna System Improved for Competition
- RAST Annual General Meeting
April RAST meeting cancelled, YOTA event is postponed
- RAST installs IGATEs to expand the APRS network in Thailand
- First US FCC Amateur Radio License Examination in 2020
- Thailand Amateur Radio Day 2019