Report from Thailand
Dxpeditions, US FCC Examination, CQ World Wide DX Contest 2023, etc.
From October until the end of this year, our HAM calendar is full of DXpeditions to rare and exotic places, and this was definitely reflected on how busy the bands had been. Both old and newcomers to amateur radio in Thailand are especially excited to work all the rare DXCCs.
In October, some of the more prominent DXpeditions include T22T Tuvalu Island, VK9LAA Lord Howe Island, 5X3K Uganda, TX6D French Polynesia, 5W0LM Samoa, W8S Swains Island, ZD9W Tristan da Cunha and Gough Island, T2C Tuvalu Island, TO8FH Mayotte, E6AM Niue, E51JAN North Cook Island. The author of this article was honored to serve as the Pilot for Asia for W8S who have made nearly 90,000 QSOs, including over 100 stations with JA on 6m band!
Figure 1. W8S DXpedition to Swains Island in October 2023 (L-R) Adrian KO8SCA, Max NG7M, Johannes PA5X, Gerben PG5M, Ronald PA3EWP, Martin PA4WM, Evert PA2KW, Rainer DL2AMD, Hans DL6JGN, and Heye DJ9RR
In November, many more DXpeditions are scheduled including TJ9MD Cameroon, TX7L Marquesas Island, 4W8X Timor Leste, XW4DX Laos, VK9XGM Christmas Island, and TO9W St Martin.
US FCC Examination in Bangkok
Figure 2. The atmosphere from the 2nd US FCC Amateur Radio Examination 2023 in Thailand, led by Champ E21EIC
The second US FCC Amateur Radio Examination in Thailand in 2023 was held on Saturday 7th October 2023 at King Mongkut Institute of Technology in Lad Krabang district, Bangkok. The session began at 1300 local time with 21 participants in total. The results of the examinations were as follow:-
Regarding the US FCC Amateur Radio Examination in Thailand, those who have passed the exams, particularly the General and Extra Class, can upgrade their Thai License with the NBTC regulator in order to gain access to the HF bands. This process is somewhat similar to Japan.
For this round of examination, the author would like to thank all 13 Volunteer Examiners (VEs) who have dedicated their time and effort. The session was a success with 76% pass rate.
Getting Ready for CQ World Wide DX Contest 2023
CQ World Wide DX Contest is one of the largest and most popular amateur radio contests in the world. It is held in the last weekend of October in SSB mode, and in the last weekend of November in CW mode. For Thailand, many teams take this opportunity to improve their station setups and join in the competitions.
Figure 3. Dietmar DL3DXX (pictured in the middle) arrived in Thailand on 19th October 2023 prior to the start of CQ World Wide DX Contest to prepare the station in Ban Ta Bong for the competition. Picture taken at E20AX Club Station with Bun E25KAE (left) and Champ E21EIC (right)
The author himself will operate under E2A in the CQWW SSB under Multi-Single High-Power category. The operators include Stig LA7JO, Dietmar DL3DXX (who will arrive in Thailand one week before hand to join the Worked All Germany Contest), Dusko ZL3WW, Sam HSØZDY, Ray HS4RAY, JC E2ØNKB, and Champ E21EIC.
For CQWW CW, the E2A will also compete under Multi-Single High-Power category. The operators include Stig LA7JO, Martin N6VI, Dusko ZL3WW, Sam HSØZDY, Ray HS4RAY, JC E2ØNKB, and Champ E21EIC.
These CQ World Wide DX Contests 2023 in SSB and CW are also the first two out of fifteen qualifying events for WRTC 2026. For more information about WRTC 2026 which will be held in the UK : https://www.wrtc2026.org/
The results and pictures from E2A participation in CQ WW SSB contest 2023 will follow in the next issue.
IARU R3 YOTA Camp
The Radio Amateur Society of Thailand under the Royal Patronage of His Majesty the King (RAST) in conjunction with the IARU Region 3, will hold the first Youngsters On The Air (YOTA) Region 3 Camp on 27th – 29th October 2023 in Pattaya, Thailand. Over 30 kids are expected to join the event including those from Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand.
This YOTA Region 3 Camp provides a venue for youths who are interested in amateur radio to meet like-minded friends from other nationalities, take part in radio-communication related activities, and provide them with skills that they can take back to stimulate similar projects in their home country in order to promote further growth in the hobby. Some of the activities this year include:
- Radio set-up and how to become HAM operators
- Electronic workshops
- HF, VHF, and Satellite communication
- Building antennas
- Fox Hunting
- Star gazing and tour of Pattaya
For more information about IARU Region 3 YOTA Camp : https://www.iarur3yota2023.com/
Details and pictures from the 1st IARU Region 3 YOTA Camp will follow in the next issue.
Report from Thailand backnumber
- December YOTA Month in Thailand
- CQ World Wide DX Contest from Thailand
- IARU R3 YOTA Camp Pattaya, Thailand
- Dxpeditions, US FCC Examination, CQ World Wide DX Contest 2023, etc.
- JA Hams visited E20AX Club Station
- JARL HAM FAIR 2023
- World Radiosport Team Championship WRTC 2022 (2023) Bologna, Italy, 4-11 July 2023
- Friedrichshafen Ham Radio Fair 2023
- Parks on the Air in Thailand
- RAST on The Beach 4
- Fred Laun K3ZO Silent Key (Part II) A great loss for amateur radio
- Fred Laun K3ZO Silent Key (Part I) A great loss for amateur radio
- HF Amateur Radio Seminars Hosted by RAST and NBTC BW/E25KAE, The First Thai HAM Operator in Taiwan
- CQ World-Wide DX Contest SSB & CW 2022 from Ban Ta Bong (The Center of the World)
- POTA Activations in Thailand by JJ1DQR,
Advanced Class Examination for Thai Amateur Radio Licenses
- HS3NBR/p Maeo Island IOTA AS-145,
16th – 19th September 2022
- JARL HAM FAIR 2022
- Inmemoriam to the former RAST President Mayuree Chotikul, HS1YL,
US FCC Amateur Radio License Examination in Thailand, etc.
- 45th International Amateur Radio Exhibition in Germany“HAM RADIO FRIEDRICHSHAFEN 2022”
- E20AX/P Mini-IOTA DXpedition to Samet Island (AS-107)
- Easing of Travel Restrictions for Visitors Entering Thailand,
Tribute to Franz Langner, DJ9ZB and Roger Western, G3SXW
- RAST held its General Annual Meeting, May you rest in peace JH1AJT and W7LR
- RAST Annual General Meeting, March 20, 2022
- The First Intermediate License Examination Since COVID-19 Outbreak
- E20AX/p IOTA DXpedition to Chang Island (AS-125)
- CQ World Wide DX Contest CW 2021 from Thailand
- CQ World Wide DX Contest SSB 2021 from Thailand
- The 18th IARU Region 3 Virtual Conference was a success
- Celebrating 400th anniversary of trade relationship between Denmark & Thailand, etc.
- E2HQ RAST Headquarter 2021, etc.
- RAST will host the IARU Region 3 Conference 2021 online in September, etc.
- RAST Talks, RAST CW Challenge Results
- RAST held AGM meeting and hosted New Year Party, NARIT Astro Fest 2021
- RAST CW Challenge
- KMUTNB and RAST welcome Minister of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation & other news.
- FCC Amateur Radio License Exam, RAST Donated a Tower to Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary,Installation of 2EL Quad at E24OYI
- RAST & G. SIMON BALLOON FESTIVAL 2020 "E2ICOM"
- RAST HF-101, November RAST meeting
- NBTC and RAST presented the callsign HS10A to His Majesty the King
- RAST hosts August meeting at an open-air restaurant
US FCC Amateur Radio License Examination at KMITL, Bangkok, Thailand
- E2HQ RAST-Headquarter, Spirit of the 2020 IARU HF World Championship
Installation of E24EZ, The first DMR Repeater in Thailand
- Global COVID-19 “STAYHOME” Radio Communication Event was a great success
- E2STAYHOME, RAST COVID-19 Special Event
E21EIC inducted into CQ Amateur Radio Hall of Fame
COVID-19 RADIO COMMUNICATION EVENT
- The E21EIC Station Antenna System Improved for Competition
- RAST Annual General Meeting
April RAST meeting cancelled, YOTA event is postponed
- RAST installs IGATEs to expand the APRS network in Thailand
- First US FCC Amateur Radio License Examination in 2020
- Thailand Amateur Radio Day 2019