Report from Thailand
The 18th IARU Region 3 Virtual Conference was a success
The Radio Amateur Society of Thailand under the Royal Patronage of His Majesty the King (RAST) hosted the 18th International Amateur Radio Union (IARU) Region 3 Conference virtually during 20th-22nd September 2021. Nearly 100 participants from 19 Member Societies along with IARU and IARU Regions 1, 2 and 3 from across the World attended the event.
These 18 Member Societies include ARRL, ARSI, BDARA, CRAC, CTARL, FARA, HARTS, JARL, KARL, MARTS, NZART, ORARI, PARA, PARS, RAST, RSGB, RSSL, SARTS and WIA.
This triennial conference is a meeting of all Member Societies and forms the supreme governing body of the IARU Region 3. Matters that are discussed determines the future policies for the administrative, operational, technical and financial matters, as well as to elect the office bearers for the subsequent 3-year period.
On 19th September 2021, the Conference was preceded by a meeting of IARU R3 Directors, Secretary and Delegates from each Region 3 Member Society to nominate various committee members as well as convenors of the two working groups, while the virtual voting process was reviewed.
A moment of silence for Dr. Larry E Price, W4RA, Reinaldo Leandro, YV5AM, Chandru Ramachandra, VU2RCR, Sangat Singh, 9M2SS, Halim Dani, YB2TJV, Arasu Manohar, VU2UR, Jojo Vicencio, DU1VHY, and Faisal Alajmi, 9K2RR
The Conference officially commenced on Monday 20th September at 0300UTC and a minute of silence was held for silent keys members. The President of Conference, Captain Dr. Panit Chantrabhakdee M.D., began the opening ceremony and invited the opening addresses from Chairman of Region 3 Directors, Wisnu Widjaja, YB0AZ, IARU President, Tim Ellam, VE6SH, Director of ITU, Mr Mario Maniewicz, Secretary General of APT, Mr Masanori Kondo, and Chairman of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission of Thailand (NBTC), General Sukit Khamasundara.
IARU R3 Chairman of Directors Wisnu Widjaja, YB0AZ makes his opening address.
IARU Region 3 Secretary Shizuo Endo, JE1MUI addresses the conference.
More specifically, Wisnu Widjaja, YB0AZ stressed the need to keep the amateur radio spectrum safe and that we should do more to promote amateur radio to young people. Whilst Tim Ellam, VE6SH noted that between 144 MHz and 275 GHz, 9% of the spectrum was allocated to amateur radio and that this could be in jeopardy.
Bun Vichitcheep, E25KAE, Conference Chairman for the 18th IARU Region 3 Conference 2021
Champ Muangamphun, E21EIC, under the delegation of RAST to propose that Bun Vichitcheep, E25KAE to be the Conference Chairman who was endorsed by ORARI and approved by the Conference. The first day of the Conference saw each Member Society along with IARU International Secretariat, IARU Region 1, IARU Region 3, IARU Region 3 Secretary, Shizuo Endo, JE1MUI, and all the Region 3 Coordinators and Committee Chairpersons made a presentation of their reports to the Conference. The details of these reports and other documents can be found at https://www.iarur3conf2021.org/documents/
Chinese Amateur Radio Club delegate Fan Bin, BA1RB presents the CRAC report.
On the second day of the Conference, ORARI made a proposal to change the IARU Region 3 board structure from Directors to Executive Committees to align with Region 1 and 2, whilst JARL propose an update in Region 3 Constitution to better fit the technological era. The Conference took note of both proposals and it will be the responsibility of the newly-elected Directors to investigate further. Discussion on threats to amateur radio and recommendations for changes to the IARU Region 3 band plan were also deliberated at lengths.
On the third and final day of the Conference, the Financial Committee presented its report to the Conference and an election was held to select six IARU Region 3 Directors for the next 3-years’ term, along with a secretary. The result of the election was as follow:
As for the Chairman of Directors, it was decided that this position would be held by two of the Directors, each for 18 months, with Ken Yamamoto, JA1CJP being Chairman for the first 18 months, and Dr. Wahyudi, YD1PRY holding the post for the second 18-month period.
Yosuke (Yuki) Uchiyama, JH1NBN was elected as IARU Region 3 Secretary for the next three years.
The newly appointed or re-appointed IARU Region 3 Co-ordinators are as follows:
This conference has been a success. To mark this event, the “HS18IARU” special event callsign will continue to be active until September 30, 2021. QSL will be sent to all via bureau by E21EIC, RAST Bureau Manager.
A RAST proposal to host the next Conference again in 3 years' time in September 2024 has been accepted unanimously, and it is sincerely hoped that RAST will be able to welcome everybody in-person this time round at the 19th IARU Region 3 Conference.
RAST Team who helped to organise the 18th IARU Region 3 Conference 2021
For highlights of the Conference, including photos and videos of the opening and closing ceremonies, please visit https://www.iarur3conf2021.org/
Report from Thailand backnumber
- IARU R3 YOTA Camp Pattaya, Thailand
- Dxpeditions, US FCC Examination, CQ World Wide DX Contest 2023, etc.
- JA Hams visited E20AX Club Station
- JARL HAM FAIR 2023
- World Radiosport Team Championship WRTC 2022 (2023) Bologna, Italy, 4-11 July 2023
- Friedrichshafen Ham Radio Fair 2023
- Parks on the Air in Thailand
- RAST on The Beach 4
- Fred Laun K3ZO Silent Key (Part II) A great loss for amateur radio
- Fred Laun K3ZO Silent Key (Part I) A great loss for amateur radio
- HF Amateur Radio Seminars Hosted by RAST and NBTC BW/E25KAE, The First Thai HAM Operator in Taiwan
- CQ World-Wide DX Contest SSB & CW 2022 from Ban Ta Bong (The Center of the World)
- POTA Activations in Thailand by JJ1DQR,
Advanced Class Examination for Thai Amateur Radio Licenses
- HS3NBR/p Maeo Island IOTA AS-145,
16th – 19th September 2022
- JARL HAM FAIR 2022
- Inmemoriam to the former RAST President Mayuree Chotikul, HS1YL,
US FCC Amateur Radio License Examination in Thailand, etc.
- 45th International Amateur Radio Exhibition in Germany“HAM RADIO FRIEDRICHSHAFEN 2022”
- E20AX/P Mini-IOTA DXpedition to Samet Island (AS-107)
- Easing of Travel Restrictions for Visitors Entering Thailand,
Tribute to Franz Langner, DJ9ZB and Roger Western, G3SXW
- RAST held its General Annual Meeting, May you rest in peace JH1AJT and W7LR
- RAST Annual General Meeting, March 20, 2022
- The First Intermediate License Examination Since COVID-19 Outbreak
- E20AX/p IOTA DXpedition to Chang Island (AS-125)
- CQ World Wide DX Contest CW 2021 from Thailand
- CQ World Wide DX Contest SSB 2021 from Thailand
- The 18th IARU Region 3 Virtual Conference was a success
- Celebrating 400th anniversary of trade relationship between Denmark & Thailand, etc.
- E2HQ RAST Headquarter 2021, etc.
- RAST will host the IARU Region 3 Conference 2021 online in September, etc.
- RAST Talks, RAST CW Challenge Results
- RAST held AGM meeting and hosted New Year Party, NARIT Astro Fest 2021
- RAST CW Challenge
- KMUTNB and RAST welcome Minister of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation & other news.
- FCC Amateur Radio License Exam, RAST Donated a Tower to Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary,Installation of 2EL Quad at E24OYI
- RAST & G. SIMON BALLOON FESTIVAL 2020 "E2ICOM"
- RAST HF-101, November RAST meeting
- NBTC and RAST presented the callsign HS10A to His Majesty the King
- RAST hosts August meeting at an open-air restaurant
US FCC Amateur Radio License Examination at KMITL, Bangkok, Thailand
- E2HQ RAST-Headquarter, Spirit of the 2020 IARU HF World Championship
Installation of E24EZ, The first DMR Repeater in Thailand
- Global COVID-19 “STAYHOME” Radio Communication Event was a great success
- E2STAYHOME, RAST COVID-19 Special Event
E21EIC inducted into CQ Amateur Radio Hall of Fame
COVID-19 RADIO COMMUNICATION EVENT
- The E21EIC Station Antenna System Improved for Competition
- RAST Annual General Meeting
April RAST meeting cancelled, YOTA event is postponed
- RAST installs IGATEs to expand the APRS network in Thailand
- First US FCC Amateur Radio License Examination in 2020
- Thailand Amateur Radio Day 2019