Report from Thailand
Inmemoriam to the former RAST President Mayuree Chotikul, HS1YL,
US FCC Amateur Radio License Examination in Thailand, etc.
In memoriam to the former RAST President Mayuree Chotikul, HS1YL (1941-2022)
We would like to express our deepest condolence of Mrs Mayuree Chotikul, HS1YL (SK)’s passing on 18th July 2022, aged 81. She was born in 1941 and was the former President of the Radio Amateur Society of Thailand between 1992 and 2008.
Figure 1. (L-R) Mrs. Mayuree HS1YL (SK) with Ex-President of JARL Shozo Hara JA1AN (SK) during JARL anniversary celebrations, and Mrs. Mayuree’s daughter Moragot Chotikul, HS1DF.
Figure 2. Mrs. Mayuree, HS1YL (SK) participated in the World Amateur Radio International Conference in Tokyo, Japan 1983 together with her daughter Moragot Chotikul, HS1DF.
"Khun Mayuree was vital for the wellbeing of Amateur Radio in Thailand, which formally became legal only in the late 1980's", remembered as K3ZO (aka HS0ZAR and ex HS1ABD), Fred Laun. Khun Mayuree's husband was HS1WR, Col. Kumchai Chotikul who was the father of Amateur Radio in Thailand and had passed away in 1982.
Figure 3. (Standing 4th from the left) Col. Kumchai Chotikul HS1WR (SK) joined JARL 50th Anniversary in Tokyo in 1976.
Figure 4. (Two ladies in the front, L-R) Her daughter HS1GA and Mrs Mayuree HS1YL (SK) joined JARL 60th Anniversary in Tokyo in 1986.
Khun Mayuree's "crowning achievement was utilizing her close connections to Thailand's Royal Household and managing to obtain Royal Patronage by the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej, HS1A, for the Radio Amateur Society of Thailand (RAST)", Fred told us. This prevented Thailand's Amateur Radio society "from being immersed in various political machinations of the day". RAST still maintains the Royal Patronage thanks to HS10A, H. M. Maha Vajiralongkorn, the King of Thailand.
Figure 5. Champ E21EIC won First Place in WRTC2006 in Multi-National Multi-Single
Category in Brazil with support from Mrs. Mayuree HS1YL (SK).
Khun Mayuree was "a very noble person, full of grace and charm, and was one of the driving forces behind the founding of RAST in 1963 alongside her husband Col. Kumchai Chotikul, HS1WR (SK)", says E21EIC, Champ Maungamphun. On a personal level, Khun Mayuree was a big supporter of Champ on his first ever World Radiosport Team Championship (WRTC) in Brazil in 2006. Her funeral ceremonies took place at the majestic Wat Makut Kasatriyaram Ratchaworavihan between 20th July and 26th July 2022. Our heartfelt condolences to her family, friends, RAST and the Amateur Radio operators from Thailand.
US FCC Amateur Radio License Examination in Thailand After 2 Years Absence
US FCC Amateur Radio License Examination in Thailand was temporarily halted for the past 2 years because of the spread of Covid-19. Now that the situation has improved and the Thai authority has begun to ease the rules and restrictions, the US FCC Volunteer Examiners (VE) Team in Thailand managed to arrange another round of examination after 2 years of absence on 9th July 2022.
The examination was held at Thammasat University, Rangsit Campus, at the Engineering Faculty in Pathumthani district. The session began at 12:00pm with a total of 31 candidates. The results were as follows:
Technician Class 8 people
General Class 5 people
Extra Class 7 people
Of the 7 people who have passed Extra Class, one person managed to accomplish “One Day Extra” having passed all 3 exams in one sitting.
Figure 7. Thanachai Laohakultham, E25JNR achieving One Day Extra having passed his Technician, General and Extra examination in one sitting.
from Champ E21EIC after passing their Technician, General, or Extra examination.
We would like to thank the Engineering Faculty of Thammasat University on Rangsit Campus, Professor Watchara Amasiri, E25FGL, for providing us the space and resources, as well as all the VEs who helped us ran the session as smoothly as it did. Congratulations to all 20 candidates who have passed, and we hope to see you on the air soon!
E2WRTC Special event station
E2WRTC is a special event station to promote Thailand representatives (AS#6) in WRTC 2022 which will be held in Bologna, Italy, in July 2023.
Team Leader (TL): Champ C Muangamphun, E21EIC
Team Member (TM): Weerapat Mew Tangkleang, E29TGW
WRTC is the Olympic of radiosport that takes place every 4 years. The best of the best operators, each huddling in their own little tent, battle it out over a period of 24 hours to see who can score the most points under the same setups and working conditions.
Champ E21EIC has previously been to WRTC 2006 in Brazil and WRTC 2018 in Germany. For Mew E29TGW, this will be his first, having only started CW and operated on HF bands 3 years ago. What makes it so special is that WRTC 2022 will be the first time in history that Thailand has managed to qualify as a full TL-TM Thai team.
Please come and show us your support. E2WRTC will be active from 1 June 2022 to 30 September 2022, on 160-10m bands, on CW and SSB.
QSL Policy: Logs will be updated regularly on Club Log. For any log enquiries, please contact E21EIC. Direct QSL cards are welcome. QSL cards will automatically be sent to all via bureau - providing that you are a member of your QSL bureau of course.
Figure 10. (L-R) Mew E29TGW, Bun E25KAE, and Champ E21EIC operating E2WRTC from E2ØAX club station.
E2WRTC Operators include: HS2UPR HS3NBR HS5NMF HS7BHK HS8HEX HS8JWH HS8KAY HS8NKB E24OYI E25KAE E25OKO E29TGW E20NKB JR3XMG and E21EIC
Report from Thailand backnumber
- Fred Laun K3ZO Silent Key (Part I) A great loss for amateur radio
- HF Amateur Radio Seminars Hosted by RAST and NBTC BW/E25KAE, The First Thai HAM Operator in Taiwan
- CQ World-Wide DX Contest SSB & CW 2022 from Ban Ta Bong (The Center of the World)
- POTA Activations in Thailand by JJ1DQR,
Advanced Class Examination for Thai Amateur Radio Licenses
- HS3NBR/p Maeo Island IOTA AS-145,
16th – 19th September 2022
- JARL HAM FAIR 2022
- Inmemoriam to the former RAST President Mayuree Chotikul, HS1YL,
US FCC Amateur Radio License Examination in Thailand, etc.
- 45th International Amateur Radio Exhibition in Germany“HAM RADIO FRIEDRICHSHAFEN 2022”
- E20AX/P Mini-IOTA DXpedition to Samet Island (AS-107)
- Easing of Travel Restrictions for Visitors Entering Thailand,
Tribute to Franz Langner, DJ9ZB and Roger Western, G3SXW
- RAST held its General Annual Meeting, May you rest in peace JH1AJT and W7LR
- RAST Annual General Meeting, March 20, 2022
- The First Intermediate License Examination Since COVID-19 Outbreak
- E20AX/p IOTA DXpedition to Chang Island (AS-125)
- CQ World Wide DX Contest CW 2021 from Thailand
- CQ World Wide DX Contest SSB 2021 from Thailand
- The 18th IARU Region 3 Virtual Conference was a success
- Celebrating 400th anniversary of trade relationship between Denmark & Thailand, etc.
- E2HQ RAST Headquarter 2021, etc.
- RAST will host the IARU Region 3 Conference 2021 online in September, etc.
- RAST Talks, RAST CW Challenge Results
- RAST held AGM meeting and hosted New Year Party, NARIT Astro Fest 2021
- RAST CW Challenge
- KMUTNB and RAST welcome Minister of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation & other news.
- FCC Amateur Radio License Exam, RAST Donated a Tower to Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary,Installation of 2EL Quad at E24OYI
- RAST & G. SIMON BALLOON FESTIVAL 2020 "E2ICOM"
- RAST HF-101, November RAST meeting
- NBTC and RAST presented the callsign HS10A to His Majesty the King
- RAST hosts August meeting at an open-air restaurant
US FCC Amateur Radio License Examination at KMITL, Bangkok, Thailand
- E2HQ RAST-Headquarter, Spirit of the 2020 IARU HF World Championship
Installation of E24EZ, The first DMR Repeater in Thailand
- Global COVID-19 “STAYHOME” Radio Communication Event was a great success
- E2STAYHOME, RAST COVID-19 Special Event
E21EIC inducted into CQ Amateur Radio Hall of Fame
COVID-19 RADIO COMMUNICATION EVENT
- The E21EIC Station Antenna System Improved for Competition
- RAST Annual General Meeting
April RAST meeting cancelled, YOTA event is postponed
- RAST installs IGATEs to expand the APRS network in Thailand
- First US FCC Amateur Radio License Examination in 2020
- Thailand Amateur Radio Day 2019