Report from Thailand
RAST & G. SIMON BALLOON FESTIVAL 2020 "E2ICOM"
One of the exciting events to welcome the winter chills in the Northern part of Thailand, is a particular event specially organised by the Radio Amateur Society of Thailand (RAST) under the Royal Patronage of His Majesty the King, in partnership with G. Simon Radio Co., Ltd., to celebrate their 65 years of success as the official dealer of ICOM here in the Land of Smile.
(left) HS5NMF and E23NHL installing the antenna/ (right) Antennas setup
The Balloon Festival 2020 took place at San Sai District in Chiang Mai on 27th November 2020. Thailand's radio regulator, the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC), granted a special E2ICOM callsign for this event, and many VHF contacts were made from high up in the air. A group of HAM enthusiasts who travelled from all over the country took turns to board the balloon and operate the radio. It was truly a festive occasion.
(left) Jack, HS1FVL president of RAST with ICOM PR/ (right) The second balloon is getting ready
At this event, RAST also brought along an HF Portable Station developed by E23NEZ to demonstrate its potential to operate under emergency conditions. HAM members in the Northern provinces got to roll up their sleeves and had a go at operating the HF bands in both SSB and satellite modes to further their interests and understandings.
Noparnant Jira, HS0JSB, the Big Boss of G. Simon Radio Co., Ltd. together with ICOM PR boarding the balloon.
The festival attracted many HAMs especially from the northern provinces as well as several officials from the NBTC, and everybody got their chances to board the balloon and take in the beautiful skyline view of San Sai District in Chiang Mai.
E2ICOM balloon lifts off
Night time scene at the Balloon Festival 2020 in San Sai District, Chiang Mai, with VHF operation from the balloon.
In addition, RAST also took the opportunity to use E2ICOM special callsign in the CQWW DX Contest CW during 28 to 29 of November 2020, and made over 1,500 QSOs.
Jack, HS1FVL presents HF Radio to local hams
E2ICOM QSL Card
This Balloon Festival 2020, hosted by RAST in partnership with G. Simon Radio Co., Ltd., was the first of such events in Thailand where radio contacts were made from the balloon. It was a very memorable and an eye-catching event, definitely one to draw the crowds and bring more attention to amateur radio. It also helped to stimulate more activities in the VHF bands and provide the opportunity for HAMs to exchange QSL cards with the special callsign E2ICOM. We hope that there will be many more of such special events to come.
Report from Thailand backnumber
- IARU R3 YOTA Camp Pattaya, Thailand
- Dxpeditions, US FCC Examination, CQ World Wide DX Contest 2023, etc.
- JA Hams visited E20AX Club Station
- JARL HAM FAIR 2023
- World Radiosport Team Championship WRTC 2022 (2023) Bologna, Italy, 4-11 July 2023
- Friedrichshafen Ham Radio Fair 2023
- Parks on the Air in Thailand
- RAST on The Beach 4
- Fred Laun K3ZO Silent Key (Part II) A great loss for amateur radio
- Fred Laun K3ZO Silent Key (Part I) A great loss for amateur radio
- HF Amateur Radio Seminars Hosted by RAST and NBTC BW/E25KAE, The First Thai HAM Operator in Taiwan
- CQ World-Wide DX Contest SSB & CW 2022 from Ban Ta Bong (The Center of the World)
- POTA Activations in Thailand by JJ1DQR,
Advanced Class Examination for Thai Amateur Radio Licenses
- HS3NBR/p Maeo Island IOTA AS-145,
16th – 19th September 2022
- JARL HAM FAIR 2022
- Inmemoriam to the former RAST President Mayuree Chotikul, HS1YL,
US FCC Amateur Radio License Examination in Thailand, etc.
- 45th International Amateur Radio Exhibition in Germany“HAM RADIO FRIEDRICHSHAFEN 2022”
- E20AX/P Mini-IOTA DXpedition to Samet Island (AS-107)
- Easing of Travel Restrictions for Visitors Entering Thailand,
Tribute to Franz Langner, DJ9ZB and Roger Western, G3SXW
- RAST held its General Annual Meeting, May you rest in peace JH1AJT and W7LR
- RAST Annual General Meeting, March 20, 2022
- The First Intermediate License Examination Since COVID-19 Outbreak
- E20AX/p IOTA DXpedition to Chang Island (AS-125)
- CQ World Wide DX Contest CW 2021 from Thailand
- CQ World Wide DX Contest SSB 2021 from Thailand
- The 18th IARU Region 3 Virtual Conference was a success
- Celebrating 400th anniversary of trade relationship between Denmark & Thailand, etc.
- E2HQ RAST Headquarter 2021, etc.
- RAST will host the IARU Region 3 Conference 2021 online in September, etc.
- RAST Talks, RAST CW Challenge Results
- RAST held AGM meeting and hosted New Year Party, NARIT Astro Fest 2021
- RAST CW Challenge
- KMUTNB and RAST welcome Minister of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation & other news.
- FCC Amateur Radio License Exam, RAST Donated a Tower to Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary,Installation of 2EL Quad at E24OYI
- RAST & G. SIMON BALLOON FESTIVAL 2020 "E2ICOM"
- RAST HF-101, November RAST meeting
- NBTC and RAST presented the callsign HS10A to His Majesty the King
- RAST hosts August meeting at an open-air restaurant
US FCC Amateur Radio License Examination at KMITL, Bangkok, Thailand
- E2HQ RAST-Headquarter, Spirit of the 2020 IARU HF World Championship
Installation of E24EZ, The first DMR Repeater in Thailand
- Global COVID-19 “STAYHOME” Radio Communication Event was a great success
- E2STAYHOME, RAST COVID-19 Special Event
E21EIC inducted into CQ Amateur Radio Hall of Fame
COVID-19 RADIO COMMUNICATION EVENT
- The E21EIC Station Antenna System Improved for Competition
- RAST Annual General Meeting
April RAST meeting cancelled, YOTA event is postponed
- RAST installs IGATEs to expand the APRS network in Thailand
- First US FCC Amateur Radio License Examination in 2020
- Thailand Amateur Radio Day 2019